For some people, winter is a curse since it makes their skin dull and dry. Some people like my mom, winter is hell since it leads to cracking and flaking. Her skin becomes itchy and hard. Once she turns the heat on indoors, her skin becomes dry and tight.
So you face similar problems during winter? If so, then here are a few tips that may help to keep your skin soft and moist during the chilly winter months.
1. Use oil based moisturizer: Water based moisturizer is effecting during summer and skin. But for the dry winter, you need to take extra care for your skin. Use water based moisturizer to create a protective layer on your skin. Night creams are often oil-based. You can use these creams more during winter.
Try to use natural oils such as primrose oil, almond oil, avocado oil, etc.
2. Remove wet gloves: Please throw away your wet gloves and socks as soon as possible. These gloves can easily cause itching, sores, cracks, etc.
3. Sip herbal tea and water: Your skin needs nourishment. Water keeps it hydrated. So, drink lots of water in a day. If required, carry a water bottle when you are traveling. Herbal tea can moisturize your skin internally. So make it a point to sip tea and water whenever you can.
4. Bathe with moisturizing body wash: Your skin needs maximum care during winter season. So, bathe with lukewarm water and moisturizing soap. Avoid piping hot water since it can make your skin dry and itchy.
5. Apply sunscreen everywhere: Love to take a sunbath? Do it after applying a generous amount of sunscreen over your body. Remember, sunlight can harm your skin in winter too. You can use a sunscreen SPF 15, 30, 50 when you step outside.
6. Exfoliate your skin: Never forget to exfoliate your skin and remove the dead cells from your face. Use a good homemade face pack on your face. Once you have scrubbed your face and hands, use a moisturizer. You’ll get a soft and smooth skin.
7. Use a good lip balm: Don’t lick your lips during winter. This is a very bad habit. Instead, use a good lip balm. This will help to heal your cracked lips. If you don’t have a lip balm, then apply a good moisturizing cream at night. Wear a moisturizing lipstick when you step outside your home.
8. Use honey: Honey is great for skin. It can soften dry patches on your rough knees. Just mix honey with sugar and make a thick solution. Apply on the affected areas to reduce inflammation and increase blood circulation in your skin.
The last tip for you
I need to keep washing my hands while cooking. This makes my hand as dry as a sandstone. This winter, I have decided to use alcohol-free hand sanitizer. I have also bought soap-free cleanser. These sanitizers and cleansers are less drying. So hopefully, my hands will have little bit moisture now.