Stress or depression has a detrimental effect on your skin. For instance, when you are in stress, you tend to forget about yourself. You skip foods, lose sleep and succumb to drinking. These factors affect skin directly – your skin becomes dry, pale and full of blemishes. You stop taking care of your skin like before and this itself increases problems.
What causes stress or depression?
A painful breakup, too much work pressure, tension, lack of sleep and lack of exercise can lead to depression. Depression generates ‘stress hormones’ adrenaline, DHEA and cortisol. These lead to a lot of changes and skin problems.
What kind of skin problems you may have?
- Blackheads, whiteheads and clogged pores due to sebum production in the skin.
- Swollen eyes and dark circles due to lack of sleep.
- Skin problems such as psoriasis, seborrhoeic and acne.
- Fine lines, pigmentation and wrinkles appear on the skin.
- Skin becomes dry and dehydrated.
- Rashes and hives appear on the skin.
- Hair loss
What can you do avoid skin problems?
- Take care of your skin and have a proper diet.
- Avoid junk foods, cigarettes and alcohol.
- Meditate everyday to release your stress.
- Go for a spa treatment and pamper yourself.
- Don’t give up the practice of – cleansing, toning and moisturizing your skin.
- Drink lots of water everyday.
Stress can ruin your mental peace and harm your skin. Try to calm yourself when you are in stress. I know this is very difficult to implement in real life. But, at least try to think positive, meditate and reduce your stress. Follow your normal beauty regimen to stop the ageing process.